Marinemax Celebrates Larry Russo, Sr. – MMTA Industry Leader Award Winner
DANVERS, MA (February 8, 2022) – Larry Russo, Sr., Senior Vice President of MarineMax Northeast, recently received the Massachusetts Marine Trades Association (MMTA) Frank Farrell Distinguished Service Award.
Larry grew up in the recreational boating industry and has had a legendary career that has spanned nearly 60 years. Larry is the 4th recipient of the MMTA Frank Farrell award, joining Joe O’Neil, former owner of the New England Boat Show, Dick Egan of Crosby Yacht Yard and Ed Lofgren of 3A Marine. The award is in honor of the late Frank Farrell (1928-2001). Farrell was a co-founder of the New England Boat Show in 1957 and was instrumental in the formation of the MMTA in 1964.
Randall Lyons, Executive Director of the MMTA, comments, “To say Larry is deserving of this award would be a clear understatement based on the accomplishments and impact he has made in the recreational boating industry here in Massachusetts and nationally.”
Some of the key leadership roles that Larry has held over the years include the following:
- MMTA Board of Directors 1977 to present. MMTA President 1983-1984
- MMTA President Boston In-Water Boat Show 1992-2014
- MRAA Board of Directors 1982-1995. MRAA President 1988-1989
- RBFF - Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation Board of Directors 2002-2007
- NMMA Grow Boating Dealer Quality Task Force Chairman 2004-2006
- MRAA Marine Industry Dealership Certification Inc. Chairman 2006 -
- Sea Tow Safety Foundation Board of Directors 2008-2014
- Grow Boating, Inc. Board of Directors 2012-2020
- NMMA/MRAA BoatPac Board of Directors 2017 –
- Recipient - MRAA - Irv Rosenthal Leadership Award - 1991
- Recipient - NMMA – Hammond Leadership Award - 1997
- Recipient - MMTA – Marine Industry Advocate Award - 2007
Larry Russo Jr., MarineMax Regional President, comments on the award and presentation, “I’m honored and proud to co-present this award to my dad. His life-long commitment to improving the business of boating has truly made our industry better for all involved.”
Warren Kelly, of Baert Marine and co-presenter of the award comments, “Larry has always been committed to the advancement of our industry and we all greatly benefited from it. Over the years he has selflessly given so very much of his time and continues to do so on both a local and national level. It is with great respect that I share in recognizing my friend personally and on behalf of the Marine Industry.”
The award was present to Larry Sr. at the MMTA 2022 Business of Boating (BOB) Conference on Thursday, January 20th, at the Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, MA. Over 200 attendees took part in the event in-person and online.
Want to learn more about MarineMax? Let us Help!