Top 10 Tips for Boating with Your Furry Friends
- Keep plenty of fresh drinking water available. Pup’s gonna get thirsty!
- Walk your dog to make sure he does his business before boarding.
- Give your pal a chance to get used to wearing the life jacket before getting on board.
- Give your dog a chance to get familiar with the boat before you take off.
- Have your dog practice swimming in the life jacket before the first big outing!
- Protect their paws. Dogs absorb heat through their feet, and boat surfaces can get hot in the sun.
- If fishing, keep lures, bait, and hooks safely stored and out of reach from your dog.
- Provide a shaded area. Excessive exposure to the sun isn’t good for animals.
- Keep your first outing short, so your dog can get used to the boat’s movement.
- Don’t forget the treats and toys. This will help your dog understand the boat is a safe place.
BONUS: Bring a camera, capture the adventure then tag #MMXPets!