Consequences of Prolonged Sun Exposure
Everyone loves getting a good tan and feeling the warm sun on their skin, it’s a fun and enjoyable part of the boating experience. However, it is possible to have too much sun. Too much sun can cause painful sunburns, sun poisoning, and over a period of years, even skin cancer.
Luckily, there are a few easy ways to protect yourself from the suns’s harmful rays.
- Hats: A hat will help to keep the sun off your face and neck (size depending)
- Sunglasses: Your eyes are just as susceptible to damage as the rest of your body, a good pair of polarized sunglasses will protect your eyes. Most MarineMax locations offer a good selection of sunglasses that will serve you well.
- Long Sleeve Shirt: There are tons of companies that make comfortable, light weight shirts that are meant to protect your from the sun while still being breathable and hassle free
- Sunscreen: Be sure to use a high SPF sunscreen and re-apply often! This can make a huge difference. Note*: Some sunscreens can stain vinyl seating, be sure to sit on a towel after application
- Discretion: Remember, a bit of personal responsibility and attentiveness can go a long way as well. Regular reapplication of sunscreen, be conscious of time spent in the sun and ensuring you’re covered will go a long way to helping keep you safe.
Remember, while Florida may be the “Sunshine State '', this is not Florida specific advice, this applies to a day on the water everywhere from Texas to the Midwest and beyond. If you’ve had enough sun for the day or simply want a break, seeking shelter below deck in a cabin or under a covered area can be a smart choice. Here at MarineMax we offer plenty of vessels
that give you that exact option! We’ll see you out there.